Friday, April 10, 2009

OpLove- Fort Bliss, Texas

Photo by Glen Navarra from Philadelphia, PA.

I travelled to Fort Bliss, Texas last weekend for an amazingly HUGE photoshoot! I was part of a big endeavor to photograph as many families as we could before their soldiers deployed in May. It's all a free service we provide through the organization, Operation: Love Reunited. I personally shot 40 families. There were about 20 photographers there..and we shot close to 800 families.

I had a fabulous time working with and meeting for the first time some other OpLove photographers from around the county. The families who received this complimentary portraiture were also very wonderful to work with and very appreciative of our time!

After the first of two days that we shot....we were treated to a very nice dinner party at Fuddruckers...yum! The brigade commander and the seargant major were there along with their spouses... and they presented us with coins and certificates for our volunteerism. It was a very special evening as we shared stories of why we are a part of this great, new organization!

Captain Carpenter was the guy in charge of handling some of the major logistics of this event, and afterward he wrote up this letter of response. Here is a quote that has become a favorite on our photographers only forum with OpLove:

"Overwhelming positive responses from Soldiers, families, and photographers indicate that this event was a tremendous force multiplier for unit and family morale during preparation for deployment."

So, I just wanted to share a little bit about my recent trip....I know many of you have asked how it went. I don't have enough words to describe how good it was to be a part of this. As a result, I'm sure we will be called to do many more year after year around the county, and I hope that I can go to most of them!

8 comments:

lil_jogger03 said...

Glad to hear the trip went great!!

Dana Smyth said...

You shot my session :) And you were so wonderful and professional, it was amazing. I'm so diasspointed that you are so far away, because i'd surely have you come back to shoot my husband's homecoming. Thank you for what you did for us and so many other families, it really means a lot to me.

ali mocabee said...

Thank you, Dana! That means a lot to me to hear you say those words! And you never know... we may be back! Good luck with the deployment from one Army wife to another. My prayers are with you and your family!

Liza Balough said...

God bless you and the work you are doing!

Christy said...

What a wonderful opportunity and blessings for all those families! That'd be so wonderful to have something like that here.

God Bless

Glen Navarra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glen Navarra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glen Navarra said...

Hi Ali. Thanks for the credit,i really appreciate it. OMG your magical fairies images are beautiful,very well done. Beautiful works,even people here at work love your works. What a topnotch concept,never seen that kind of concept before.